Monday, December 11, 2006



POSTSCRIPT OF THE PHILIPPINE IDOL GRAND FINALE

Mau Marcelo is the first Philippine Idol. It came as a surprise to me. I wasn't rooting for anyone in particular. My sister and I agree, anyone of the Big 3, Jan Nieto, Gian Magdangal or Mau Marcelo was equally deserving to be chosen as the Philippines' own idol.

I have to be honest though, I did not follow the competition religiously. I began watching intently when it came down to the Top 5 choices, before Pow Chavez and Miguel Mendoza were booted out. I just had the habit of watching shows when they were about to end. I guess I'm not the only one who has this nasty habit. Nakikiuso lang kumbaga.

Anyway, back to the topic, I thought that Mau had the most powerful voice of the three, Gian the total performer, and Jan, the hardest worker, and such a hunk hehehe. (not to mention a Management Engineering graduate from the Ateneo) I also had the feeling during the Final performance night that the resident judges were rallying behind Jan.. Or it could be that they employed reverse psychology on the voters. Thecy consistently criticized Mau's performance that night.We know how the Filipinos love the underdog. But when Mau stepped on the stage to perform the record producer's choice, "On My Own" by Whitney Houston, the rest was history. She was greeted by a standing ovation from the Araneta Crowd. I bet that the same reaction reverberated to all the households tuned in on the program. The performance was absolutely spectacular.

I had a lot of conspiracy theories on my mind that night. If the organizers would allow Mau to bring home the title, in a country like ours, which adored celebrities with fair complexion, tall noses, waif figures, the complete opposite of all that Mau is. But I was happy with the results, the best performer won. Congratulations to Mau, to Jan and Gian for a battle well fought.

Congratulations as well to the organizers of the Philippine Idol Finale, it was a joy to watch, especially the duet of Pow and Aiza Seguerra. They were like mirror images of each other. They even sounded the same! It was a well-organized production. I stayed Saturday and Sunday night at home just to tune in. It was all worth it!

No comments: