Tuesday, March 20, 2007



HOUSE, M.D.

I spent my late afternoon yesterday watching Season 3 of House, MD, starring Hugh Laurie, Lisa Ederstein, etc. One of my favorite TV Series of late. I have seen all of Seasons 1 and 2. I was able to find a copy of the latest season, so I was eager to watch all of it! But I managed only to see 3 episodes since I ended up sleeping almost half of yesterday, because I wasn't feeling well due to the unpredicatable weather.

Dr. Gregory House, played by Hugh Laurie, is a brilliant diagnostician, who believes only in himself and his brilliance at detecting the most obscure of illnesses. Despite his unprofessionalism and faulty people skills, not to mention his heavy dependence on Vicodin, his colleagues tolerate these shortcomings to have a piece of his mind.

For me, Laurie effectively depicts the seeming contrast of House's person, as the physician who gets the job done despite his unfeeling attitude towards his patient. He pushes this insensitivity to the point of humor. But at times, you would empathize with the patients and their relatives, especially when House resorts to fishing expeditions to find out the patient's illnesses, thus bringing the poor victims to mere guinea pigs. The rest of the cast complements the strong character that is House, playing true to their roles at the backdrop, making House, M.D., such a joy to watch. This is true, even half the time, you try to catch up with their scientific terms and highly-technical jargon.

No comments: