Sunday, April 29, 2007

ROAD TO THE NETHERLANDS: STEP ONE- THE ACCEPTANCE LETTER

I officially took the first step nearer to Netherlands. I have accepted my admission to the University of Groningen. I was advised that the said acceptance should be in writing for it to be legal and binding in Netherlands, sent through regular mail or fax. I chose the latter, it being faster and less expensive. If I opted to send the letter through snail mail, it would take a month, more or less, to get there. I cannot afford the lag time!

STEP TWO - APPLICATION AT THE HOUSING OFFICE

The international office acknowledged the receipt of the said letter and directed me to apply for housing in Groningen, as the University does not have in-campus accommodation. However, there is a housing office to address the needs of international students to find reasonable accommodation. You have a choice between a room in an international student house and one in the private market.

According to the application form, a single room in an international house would range from E200-E350. After conferring with my sponsor, (my dad!) he allowed me (hahaha) to live in a single room, after a short debate about the possibility of having a disagreeable time with a difficult roommate. Anyway, all of these will all depend on what kind of room and living conditions the Housing Office can provide for me. As of presstime, I am about to send my application to the Housing Office.

No comments: