Saturday, March 31, 2007

CUPCAKES BY SONJA



(packaging of Cupcakes by Sonja)

Buzz about Cupcakes by Sonja had been around for a while. It has sparked my curiosity since cupcakes have been the recent dessert of choice. We first tasted these cupcakes at one of the Bridal fairs I accompanied my sister to, they were given away for free. It was good we thought, but we wouldn't line up for it. After a lot of the hoopla had died down, we decided to bring some cupcakes during my cousin's welcome party to her daughter, Audrey Christine last Friday at their house. My sister and I trooped to upscale Serendra to visit Cupcakes by Sonja. It was a cute little bakery, adorned by pink and white stripes, reminiscent of Victoria Secret hehehe...

We ordered several varieties, among which were Red Velvet, Vanilla Sunshine, Chocolate Surprise, Goin Bananas, (which was our favorite of all) and Mocha Motion. I personally picked Red Velvet which was cupcake with Belgian Choco and topped with a Cream Cheese Frosting, the variant you can see below.



I was so disappointed with it. It tasted like the ordinary cupcakes you can find at your local neighborhood bakeries, what we call kababayan. But after a while, I tried eating it slowly, I convinced myself it wasnt all that bad, coz the frosting was good. I just had to convince myself I paid P65 for it.



Vanilla Sunshine with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting (this one we got for free by using my HSBC credit card)



(Clockwise from top left: Goin Bananas, Mocha Motion (had the best mocha frosting), Vanilla Sunshine and Chocolate Surprise)

Well, it was a so-so experience for me. The cakes cost anywhere from P58-100. Way too costly, and too far from my place. I have to go on a pilgrimage just to get my hands on these cupcakes. Maybe I had my expectations up there so I was disappointed with it. Final verdict, not worth it. But it can be your excuse to visit Serendra :)

Before I forget, they are having an ongoing promo, if you use any HSBC credit card for your purchases at Cupakes by Sonja, you get a free cupcake of the day for every P500 purchase!

No comments: